MONDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2006
ROBERT LIVERMORE COMMUNITY CENTER
4444 EAST AVENUE, LIVERMORE, CALIFORNIA
CRESTA BLANCA BALLROOM
DIRECTORS PRESENT: Director Faltings, Director Furst, Director Goodman, Director Turner and President Kamena (5)
DIRECTORS ABSENT: None (0)
STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT: Tim Barry, Jim Brandenburg, Joanne Hall, Barbara Kraybill, Michael Kyle, Gretchen Sommers
Meeting was called to order at 7:04 p.m. by President Kamena. Roll was taken and all Directors were present.
2. INTRODUCTION OF PUBLIC INFORMATION AIDE
General Manager Barry introduced Joanne Hall, the District’s new Public Information Aide, to the Board of Directors. Mr. Barry gave background information on Ms. Hall.
3. PUBLIC FORUM
President Kamena asked for public comment on any item not on the agenda.
No public comment was received.
4. CONSENT AGENDA:
4.1 BOARD MINUTES
4.1.1 Meeting of November 29, 2006.
4.2 COMMUNICATIONS: None.
4.3 General Manager’s Monthly Report (59/5).
4.4 Payroll and Claims.
5. CONSENT AGENDA: RESOLUTIONS: None.
On a motion by Director Faltings, seconded by Director Turner, approved the Consent Agenda, passing 5-0.
6. BIDS AND PUBLIC HEARINGS: None.
7. OLD BUSINESS: None.
8. NEW BUSINESS:
8.1 ELECTION OF BOARD OFFICERS FOR 2007
President Kamena stated that the Board will elect a President and Vice President of the Board of Directors for calendar year 2007. President Kamena stated that he is accepting nominations for these offices.
Director Furst nominated Director Dale Turner for the office of President for 2007, and Director Turner accepted the nomination. No other nominations were received for the office of President. A vote was taken, and Director Turner was approved as the President of the Board of Directors for 2007, passing 5-0. Mr. Kamena stated that he would now accept nominations for the office of Vice President. Director Faltings nominated Director Goodman for the office of Vice President. Mr. Goodman accepted the nomination. No other nominations were received for the office of Vice President. A vote was taken, and Director Goodman was approved as the Vice President of the Board of Directors for 2007, passing 5-0.
8.2 BOARD MEETING CALENDAR FOR 2007
President Kamena stated that the Board will set the time and place for Board meetings and adopt a Meeting Calendar for 2007. He stated that the Board meets the second and last Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. He noted that the only meetings of the month that usually become questionable are the last meetings in November or December due to the holidays. President Kamena proposed that the proposed meeting schedule be accepted, with an adjustment being made so that there is no second meeting in November or December. Director Faltings noted that the first meeting in June is usually moved to another week so that it does not conflict with Rodeo activities. It was determined, by consensus, that the first June meeting will be held on the first Wednesday, rather than the second Wednesday, in order to avoid such a conflict.
The 2007 Board meeting schedule will be meetings on the second and last Wednesday of each month, with the following exceptions: no second meeting in November or December; and the first meeting in June will be held on the first Wednesday of the month in order not to conflict with Rodeo activities. President Kamena asked staff to send the Directors a revised 2007 meeting schedule.
8.3 BOARD POLICY MANUAL CHANGES
President Kamena stated that the Board had been asked to review the Board Policy Manual and bring any suggested changes to the meeting for discussion. He asked if Directors had any suggested changes to the board policy manual. He noted that this is not the only time changes can be made, but that this is the annual review period. No changes were suggested.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS:
President Kamena stated that a College Tours Committee was held earlier this evening. He said that the Committee has met three times and he listed some of the committee members. He said that the Committee has accomplished making arrangements for taking the entire 7th grade classes of Junction and Mendenhall middle schools to visit the U.C. Berkeley campus for a tour. The students will be taken separately, by bus, to the campus. Mr. Kamena said that the idea is for the students to get a concept of what life in college is about, to get kids excited about going to college. More tours will be conducted at other schools, as well, said Mr. Kamena.
Director Turner stated that he attended the Livermore Cultural Arts Council (LCAC) meeting this month. He said that the council thanked outgoing officers Chuck Hartwig and Philip Dean for their many years of service to the council. Mr. Turner said that the Director of the Livermore Performing Arts Center (LVPAC) attended the meeting, and he said that LVPAC is already getting calls to book the new theatre when it opens. The theatre is on schedule to open in the summer of 2007, and it is on budget, according to LVPAC’s director. Mr. Turner said that Sam Spataro is the new LCAC President.
Director Faltings reported on the December 6 Scottish Games Committee meeting. She said that it was the first meeting of the large volunteer committee. She and Special Events Coordinator Katrina Hole made a presentation of their summer trip to Scotland. She said that the Committee discussed, among other things, new groups participating in the 2007 Scottish Games. The committee is eager to make the May 2007 the best event ever.
10. MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE DIRECTORS:
1) President-elect Turner asked the Directors to complete Committee Request forms and turn them in. Mr. Turner stated that he will combine the Sports Park Committee and the Facilities Committee. He thanked president Kamena for the wonderful job he did in 2006. He said that Mr. Kamena has gotten involved in tough issues and made progress, particularly his involvement in the District’s negotiations with EBRPD regarding our tax sharing agreement with that agency. Mr. Turner asked for a framed resolution of appreciation for the outgoing Board President Scott Kamena.
2) President Kamena thanked President-elect Turner and said he looks forward to Mr. Turner being President of the Board next year. He said that he loves being on this Board and working with his fellow Directors.
3) Director Faltings said that she echoes Director Turner’s sentiments about Mr. Kamena.
4) Director Furst thanked President Kamena for his energy and efforts over the past year.
Mr. Kamena said that he couldn’t do it without his fellow directors and the staff.
5) Director Furst said that on page A-6 of Valley Times newspaper there was a map of the bicycle master plan. He said that there is a bicycle and pedestrian advisory committee which welcomes community participation, and which is asking for representatives from agencies, including LARPD. Mr. Furst said that he wants to make sure that LARPD is represented. There are several more meetings of this committee, which end in February. Mr. Furst asked the General Manager and staff to make sure that the District gets involved with this committee.
1) General Manager Barry thanked President Kamena on behalf of staff for his leadership. He reminded the Board and public that there is no meeting at the end of this month.
Meeting adjourned to executive session at 7:25 p.m.
12. EXECUTIVE SESSION
12.1 REAL ESTATE NEGOTIATIONS
Pursuant to Section 54956.8 of the Government Code
Property: Sunrise Rock Gym, 2455 Railroad Ave., Livermore, CA 94550
Agency Negotiator: District Staff and/or Legal Counsel
Negotiating Parties: Owners, Sunrise Rock Gym
Under Negotiation: Lease agreement
13. RECONVENE TO OPEN SESSION
Meeting reconvened to Open Session at 8:17 p.m.
14. REPORT ON ACTION TAKEN IN EXECUTIVE SESSION
No action taken.
President, Board of Directors
General Manager and ex-officio
Clerk to the Board of Director