Under general supervision, performs technical and semi-skilled maintenance and repair duties for District vehicles and equipment; ensures that vehicles and equipment are available for use and consistently maintained in a safe and clean condition; and performs related work as required.
Supervision Received And Exercised
Receives general supervision from higher-level supervisory staff and direction from higher-level staff. May direct lower-level staff.
This is the journey-level classification in the Mechanic series responsible for performing technical and semi-skilled mechanic functions for District vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair, and for ensuring that vehicles and equipment are maintained in a safe and effective working condition. Incumbents at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies. Work is reviewed upon completion for soundness, appropriateness, and conformity to policy and requirements. This classification is distinguished from the Senior Mechanic in that the latter provides lead direction to lower-level support staff and is responsible for more complex skilled mechanic maintenance and repair duties.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Performs a variety of technical and semi-skilled maintenance and repair duties for vehicles and equipment, including, but not limited to, fleet vehicles, such as automobiles and light trucks; light and heavy equipment, such as tractors and graders; and parks tools and equipment, such as mowers, chain saws, pumps, sprayers, and trimmers. Ensures that vehicles and equipment are available for use and consistently maintained in a safe and clean condition.
- Operates a variety of tools, welding equipment, and mechanical hoists and cranes.
- Conducts road testing to ensure that vehicles and equipment operate within prescribed parameters.
- Reads and interprets manuals, drawings, and specifications.
- Inspects vehicles and equipment for safety and security; identifies and reports hazardous conditions and maintenance needs to Senior Mechanic or supervisor.
- Follows safe working practices and makes appropriate use of related safety equipment as required.
- Assists with monitoring inventory and supplies.
- Maintains records and logs of daily activities.
- Assists with District special events as needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED;
- One year of relevant work experience.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Operational characteristics of a variety of vehicles and equipment and their system components.
- Methods and techniques of using multiple diagnostic tools to identify vehicle and equipment malfunctions.
- Safety practices and equipment related to the work.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Principles and practices of recordkeeping.
- Principles and practices of providing high-level of customer service.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications.
- Perform technical and semi-skilled vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair work.
- Oversee and evaluate the work of contracted services.
- Review work to be performed and identify resources necessary to complete the work.
- Monitor and enforce relevant laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Safely and effectively use, operate, and maintain tools and equipment.
- Maintain facilities and equipment in a clean, safe, and secure manner.
- Perform work as directed in an efficient, effective, safe, and timely manner.
- Maintain accurate records and reports.
- Respond appropriately to changing situations.
- Independently organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and follow up on assignments.
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills and establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships.
- Make accurate mathematic calculations.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
Licenses and Certifications:
- At time of appointment, California Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record maintained throughout employment.
- National Institute of Automotive Excellence (ASE) certificate is desirable.
Must possess: strength, stamina, and mobility to perform medium to heavy physical work in and around a standard mechanic shop setting, confined spaces, and around machines. Ability to climb and descend ladders, operate variety of tools and construction equipment, and to operate a motor vehicle; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen and distinguish colors in wiring; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone or radio. Frequent walking in operational areas to identify problems or hazards. Finger dexterity needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, calculator and to operate tools and equipment. Incumbents in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, and reach. Incumbents must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 50 pounds or heavier weights with assistance and/or the use of proper equipment.
Incumbents work in both indoor and outdoor environments with moderate to loud noise levels. May work in controlled temperature conditions, cold and hot temperatures, or inclement weather conditions. Exposure to chemicals, mechanical and electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. Incumbents will interact with individuals in interpreting and enforcing rules, policies, and procedures.
Incumbents may be assigned an on-call and irregular work schedule, including weekends, early mornings, evenings, and holidays.
- Department of Justice fingerprint clearance.
- Medical exam and drug testing clearance.
Date Adopted: 5/10/17 Job Code: 7235L/PT420 FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Supersedes: Mechanic dated 2/12/14 and 3/14/07