Programs   /   Youth Services   /   PAL

PAL Program

Due to the current public health situation and requirements put in place by the Alameda County Public Health Department, the PAL program has been suspended until further notice.  If you have any questions regarding the PAL Middle School Program program, please contact our Youth Services Office at 925-960-2480 or email

Livermore Area Recreation and Park District's PAL Middle School Program supports students as they move through middle school. This program is partially funded through a grant from the After School Education and Safety (ASES) program which focuses on providing homework time along with daily enrichment activities like outdoor sports and group challenges, field trips, and time to socialize with their peers. PAL programs are located on all four middle school sites in Livermore. Students must be enrolled in the Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District in order to be enrolled in a PAL program. We welcome students in sixth grade through their last day of eighth grade. Christensen, East, and Junction PAL programs combine during school release days at Junction Avenue K-8. PAL is open year round providing programming during all school breaks and summer. The hours are 7:00-8:30 a.m. and 1:30-6:00 p.m. during school days and 7:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. during school breaks and summer. The program is typically closed on state and district holidays and some summer work days which equals to about sixteen (16) closed days per year. For more information, please contact our office at 925-960-2480.

PAL Frequently Asked Questions

Are the PAL programs licensed?

PAL programs are not licensed programs, however, the program follows all Health and Safety mandates put forth by Community Care Licensing and Policy and Procedures were developed according to Licensing regulations and standards. PAL Coordinators have their Bachelor’s Degree or secondary college education.

Why is PAL tuition less than ESS?

PAL receives funding from the After School Education and Safety grant, Prop 49 which requires students to participate in mandatory homework time four days per week for an hour and 15 minutes per day. Attendance in monitored to maintain 80% of enrollment daily to continue to receive funding. This funding source offsets the tuition amount which results in a lower monthly fee.

What are the Hours?

PAL is open 7:00-8:30 a.m. and 1:30-6:00 p.m. on school days. 7:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. on release days and breaks.

What is the Tuition?

PAL has a flat rate fee of $295 per student per month. There is no drop in fee or part time fee.

There is a $50 registration fee per student during enrollment.

Is financial assistance available?

Families have the opportunity to meet with an Eligibility Specialist to determine if they qualify for financial assistance. Financial assistance is also determined on the availability of space at the site and the availability of a funding source.

How do I enroll?

Contact the Youth Services Office during business hours of Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at (925)960-2486 or by emailing to receive information on how to register.

How do I know if I am enrolled?

Site coordinators will call families when there is an opening at your home school program. You will then be instructed regarding the next steps.

Is there a waiting list at all programs?

Waiting list times vary from school to school. Program Coordinators automatically enroll when space becomes available. Popular schools may have an extensive wait list but we do our best to serve as many students as we can.

What if I don’t need care now but want to remain on the future enrollment list?

You may decline the spot one time and keep your original enrollment date for one year. If you decline a spot a second time your enrollment date will be moved to the date you declined.

What does a typical after school day look like?

When children reach our program after school, they are checked in and immediately, have snack and outside play. Homework time begins after that for approximately one hour and 15 minutes. Following homework, students participate in planned activities until they are picked up at the end of the day. This is a general scenario for the day. Each program may vary slightly within the schedule.

How does my child get from school to the PAL program?

Students walk from their class to the program which is located on the school campus.

What happens if I can’t pick up my child at 6:00 p.m.?

It is the parent’s responsibility to make arrangements to pick up their child if they know they are not going to make it to the site by 6:00 pm. If no one arrives to pick up a child, staff begins trying to contact the parents then continue through the emergency contacts if the parents cannot be reached. If no one can be reached, and the child is still at the site at 7:00 pm, the Livermore Police are called and they will assist us in locating the parents.

What is the enrollment age?

Children must be in sixth grade to be eligible for enrollment and enrolled in the school district.

Can I enroll my child if they are not enrolled in the school district?

PAL is for children enrolled in the school district only.

What is the holiday schedule?

Each program has the Annual Holiday Schedule which is given to parents yearly. Typical days closed are state holidays and three additional ESS staff work days – before and after summer programming.

How do I make monthly tuition payments?

We accept tuition payments either in person at the Youth Services Office at 71 Trevarno Road, Livermore or through Bill Pay. Payments are due no later than the fifth working day of each month; a $25 late payment fee will be added to your account if your tuition is late.

What happens if I my child became ill while at the program?

If your child becomes ill at the program, you will be called to come and pick them up. You are given 45 minutes to arrive at the program. If your child becomes ill before they leave for school, your child will remain at the program until you pick up. If your child becomes ill at school, they will remain at school until you pick them up from there.

Can you give my child medication while at the program?

ESS can administer medication if the following requirements are met: A medication form must be filled out with directions by the parent. A Plan of Operation must be provided by the doct or for ongoing medications including inhalers, Epi pens, and allergy medications. All medications must be in the original box with the child’s name and prescription directions on the box. Over the counter medication must be accompanied by a note from the doctor before it can be administered. All medication must be in the original box and bottle.

Who can pick up my child?

Contracted parents determine who they place on the emergency list to pick up their children. If a non-emergency person is picking up, the parent must notify the site before they pick up and the person must show their identification. Non-contracted parents may not add or delete names from the emergency list.

How can I get more information?

The Youth Services office is located at 71 Trevarno Road, and the office hours are 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The office number is 925-960-2480.